Saturday, June 26, 2010

REFLECTION on Internet Literacy and Inquiry

            The Internet gives us individuals the world at our fingertips. However, if we do not know how to use it accurately, we will not be able to take advantage of it to the full potential. This course taught me the ways and steps we must take in order to gain the answers to our questions on the Internet. Now I can take what I learned and apply it to my teaching.

            Searching and using the Internet is a process that everyone needs to know, from questioning, locating, evaluating, synthesizing to communicating, every single step matters. But one striking revelation I had during this course was the importance of allowing students with choice before they begin their Internet project, the reason behind allowing choice is because based on Eagleton and Dobler (2007,p.251); choice motivates students to put more effort because it is based on desire and nothing more. Therefore, I know now to always allow my students choice even if it means that I need to give them the unit topic and they choose how to support it. My role as a teacher is not to restrict student learning but rather motivate their learning in order to succeed.

            As a professional, I have created a goal for myself that reflects upon what I have learned and need to continue to grow within this area. My goal is to reflect more upon gathering new information and evaluating information. In other words, I need to reflect on my findings as a researcher and model to students that reflecting is critical when gathering, evaluating, or determining any type of information. I will meet my goal by keeping a reflection log throughout different units during the school year. This will help me stay accurate while monitoring my learning. In addition, showing students how to reflect on different units can motivate them to do the same, which promotes necessary skills for the 21st century.

 

Resources

 

Eagleton, M. B., & Dobler, E. (2007). Reading the web: Strategies for

internet inquiry. New York: The Guilford Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment