Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reflection on UDL and DI

During the last eight weeks I have learn a great deal of valid information. I have understood the meaning of Universal Design for Learning and the ways to perfect Differentiated Instruction. UDL and Di are based on meeting all the students’ needs.
First, in order to meet their needs, we need to know what type of learner they are and analyze their strengths and weaknesses. A great way to learn this information about students is by giving them an opportunity to take Learning style survey. Of course there are several surveys available to the world on the Internet, but the one I fond the most is, http://www.scholastic.com/familymatters/parentguides/middleschool/qui... because this survey can be shared with the guardians of the children. Parents need to know whom their child is in order to know what can be done to help him or her.
Now that I have studied the type of learners I have in my classroom, I have learned that my student population is mostly visual learners and Ells. In this case, I am going to model my lessons with many images and videos. A great site that I can use in a majority of my lessons is http://www.english-4kids.com/videos.html
In addition to including more visuals and videos into my modeled lessons, I also need to keep my students engaged throughout the process to the product. A great site that reinforces almost any topic is http://pbskids.org/lions/ . Students can be given the opportunity to revisit a topic by visiting this site and reviewing what they have learned. The reason was this site or any site is beneficial for the students are because we are providing “option” to the learner. Option means to give the students the chance to choose how they want to learn a topic. On the same matter, we also have to give the students choice on how they want to demonstrate what they have learned by choosing their product. Some students enjoy being verbal, or artistic, or simply write what they have learned so we need to allow them to use Blogs or Voice threads or Power Point to meet their own personal expectations.
The immediate adjustment, I will implement in my classroom is providing students with choice. I think that choice is the secret into allowing every learner succeed and meet their goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment